Tuesday, June 16, 2009

What I Wished I Would Have Said?

Last Saturday was tough! After a chaotic effort to set up flags for each house in our ward for Flag Day, I had to finish turning in the last of my Young Women's permission forms for the Stake Pioneer Trek that is this week. I was stressed and tired, so when I took the forms to the person collecting them from our Stake, I wasn't fully prepared for what happened next. To keep it short, there had been a mix-up and he thought I hadn't turned in any forms, when I had turned in the majority of them two weeks before. Anyways, once this person realized I had all my trek forms in order, he said to me, "I just thought you were too young to have the depth to understand how important these permission forms are."

What did I say?
"Oh, well I am young....but I'm just glad it all worked out."

What I wished I would have said?
"If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."
"I didn't realize age had anything to do with one's capabilities."
"Well I just thought you were too old and slow to pick up on the fact that I have this all taken care of."
"Age aside, the Bishop seems to think I have enough depth."
"I may be young, but I think I can handle collecting and delivering forms."
"Let me give you my card. Call me and I'll schedule you for a session to learn some interpersonal skills."
"Wow, that is the kind of statement you think in your mind, but don't actually say outloud because it is inappropriate."
"Don't worry, my young age will serve me well on the trail next week."

I'm trying to let it go...

7 comments:

Season said...

That is rude! Why would anyone say that? Some people don't think. You handled it well.

Mandy said...

That is annoying! You should totally sick Bret on them!

Ashley Blackburn said...

Ha ha...that's hilarious. I would've definitely told the old man to go change his diapers.

Miriam Ika Marshall said...

that was so rude!! you handled it so well though.. but you have to love all the things you could have said as you stew on the way home. holding your tongue is a hard thing to do.. remember what goes around comes around!! it will hit him one day.. people are so sad sometimes..

Jake and Denae said...

So when do we get out the black clothing, face paint and toilet paper? We need a black car (the civic is a gonner just like 1999) and we also need to teach Ashley how to properly jump a fence and not wet herself..... that might be difficult. How about on your birthday?? Sunday is a comin'!!!!

Sid said...

cherissa- it's sidney lawson- didn't know you guys had a blog till i saw it on the paces.

i have so many "what i should have saids"!

our blog is tonyandsidneylawson.blogspot.com

Julie said...

Now that we know what you wish you would have said, can we get a list of what Bret wishes you would have said? Perhaps we could get a readers digest rendition of what Bret would have said himself.
Dan